Lamb Shanks with Tomatoes, Chilli & Garlic Recipe
INGREDIENTS4 lamb shanks
2-3 smoked ancho chillies
1 large handful of raisins
285 ml unsweetened apple juice
3 red onions
8 cloves of garlic
2-3 fresh red chillies
1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
3 fresh bay leaves
2-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 x 400 g tin of quality tomatoes
750 ml organic chicken stock , optional
red wine vinegar
- Preheat your oven to full whack. Put the dried chillies, raisins and apple juice in a bowl, then set aside.
- Put the lamb shanks in a roasting tray, then rub all over with oil, sea salt and black pepper. Bang them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- As they’re browning, peel and finely chop the onions, peel and finely slice the garlic, then halve and deseed the chillies.
- Get a casserole pan that will fit the shanks quite snugly — about 24cm in diameter and 10cm deep. Put it on a medium heat and add a lug of olive oil, the onions, garlic, fresh chilli, smoked paprika, bay leaves and rosemary. Leave to sweat for about 10 minutes.
- Once the onions have softened, put the rehydrated chillies and raisins into a food processor or liquidiser, along with any leftover apple juice, then blitz (feel free to sneak in a swig of red wine or bourbon here!) until you’ve got a paste. Stir this into your onions.
- Take your shanks out of the oven and turn the temperature down to 140°C/275°F/gas 1.
- Add the shanks to the casserole pan along with your tinned tomatoes and stock (if using) or equal amounts of water.
- Stir everything together, cover and put in the oven to stew for 2 hours 30 minutes to 3 hours, or until the meat is falling off the bone and the sauce is thick, topping up with water or stock as you go.
Recipe originally found at: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/beautiful-lamb-shanks/